Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tent Caterpillars from Hell

Dear Cosmos,

I promise I will never, ever, cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die, complain about tent caterpillars again. Never.

Nightmares 1

These creepy horrors are eating exactly what on a bicycle??

Dream Screamers 2

I had a small wild cherry tree cut down last year because it had been de-leafed by our much milder version of this icky thing. But still, the cocoons get onto everything outside. I cannot imagine what this “March of the Larvae” causes.

Early next Spring I plan to put duct tape around the trunks of the apple trees to see if that will stop the little buggers, but God knows what these people can do. Obviously the municipality in Sweden, where these photos were taken, isn’t too concerned about the situation. Maybe it’s politically incorrect to harm them.

Go here to see more — notice how white the trunks of the trees are, and how they somehow missed a few leaves on one tree.

As Shelagh used to say while making a face, "ickky pooo..."


Hat tip: Wally Ballou

3 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Robert Pearson said...

I never knew such creepy crawlies existed...the bike pic is SCARY.

I always love to learn about new things, so thanks for the education 9shiver0.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Dymphna said...

agent21-

That works on the lower levels, but up high in the limbs of the trees, they're hard to get. The ones on our apples trees this Spring were too high up. However, I got a lot of them personally, as they came down. And next year, I'm putting duct tape around the trunk to see if it traps them going back up. I know I got only a small percentage since I've been finding empty cocoons for a month or more.

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Madeleine said...

Tent catapillars are SO gross. I'm from WA myself, and driving down the highway seeing tree after tree meshed up in cacoons is gross. I just read of a website, though, that lighting the caccoons is an aweful idea - it can harm the foliage even more than the catapillars themselves! Better is to prune off the branches (best at night when all the little buggers are asleep and TOGETHER) and dispose in a garbage bag. OR even pull off the egg pods if it's a smaller tree.

Don't light your tree on fire, in other words. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home